CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

21 Mar 2011

27.05.08 The Grand Canyon - Phoenix



In 1984, Williams became the last Route 66
town bypassed by Interstate 40.






The settlement of Williams was founded in 1876, and was named after a famous mountain man, Bill Williams. It was the railroad arrival in 1882 that made the town the true "Gateway to the Grand Canyon" with the line being extended to the Canyon in 1901.

1901 was also the year that a fire devastated the town with businesses, hotels and homes being destroyed in less than an hour. Rebuilding began within days and the main street is today lined with gift stores, galleries and restaurants which are housed in buildings that were mainly erected during this time. They look like old western stores out of a movie set and at the end of the town, there is even a real old fashioned diner with a 56 Ford Customline parked outside.




inside "Twisters" diner










Route 66 was completed through Williams in 1926 and it was the increase in road traffic that eventually caused the rail service to be closed in 1968. It was reopened in 1989 and now takes tourists the 59 miles to the Grand Canyon's South Rim.

We travelled by road through scrubby bush which then turned to quite open low forestland as we neared the Canyon. Road signs warned to be aware of wandering deer.




The word Grand doesn’t even come close.
It is mind blowingly huge!

Even though I have seen plenty of pictures of the canyon I wasn’t prepared for the real thing. The photos I took don't even begin to show how beautiful the place is. I now know why it is called one of the world's great wonders. It really has to be seen to be believed.

I had an extra bonus when taking photos. I looked down and there was a rock squirrel sitting right in front of me.  Excellent piccy!


very photogenic rock squirrel sitting on a rock of course.
He scarpered when we were spotted by a group of
Japanese tourists. I think 20 cameras were a bit
too much for him to handle!



I missed out on photographing a huge deer. He was very uncooperative and hid behind some trees as we passed.

Photographing the bear proofed rubbish bins was a lot easier; actually getting them open was a totally different matter!




If you want to be safe from bears you have to look like this!



this flat rock glitters in the sun as it is covered with coins
that people have thrown off the lookout point!


None of these photos do justice to the amazing colours or vastness that make the Canyon so special.












lots of space and lots of tourists.




That little speck down there is a helicopter - see .......




the Double Eagle
Trading Company





We stopped at an ‘Indian Trading Post’ for a look around. It stocked everything from Indian beads to a stuffed bear so it was well worth the visit. It’ll probably be the closest I get to a bear so I had to take a photo of it.



.... and the raccoon


.... and the wolf!


Well that seems like good advice!



Phoenix






Travelling from the canyon to Phoenix was a cacti lovers dream. Wild growing cactus are incredible looking things, and the city landscaping uses the natural pink coloured rocks and shingle with cacti, bougainvillea and oleander. Nothing much else is going to grow. Water is way too scarce for fancy lawns and flowers.



The city freeways are lined with decorated concrete walls and the planted road sides are incredibly neat and tidy. The signposts I have seen warning of the expensive fines for littering probably have a lot to do with he lack of rubbish.





We are staying the night in Upper Hutt's sister city, the city of Mesa, 
which seems just like a suburb of Phoenix city really.






next page


No comments:

Post a Comment